Wednesday, September 9, 2009

REMEMBERING

Florida I love . . .

Palm Trees and Palmetto. Sand Pines and Coonti. Myriad shades of green.

Purple, red and yellow hues of the Crepe Myrtle and Hibiscus

Majestic Live Oaks dressed elegantly with hanging moss and supporting on its limbs

The amazing Resurrection Fern which lives & dies & lives again, perpetually

The Mockingbird’s amazing repertoire and the wake-up call of the Sandhill Crane

flying over on the way to the pond with it’s family

The spicy fragrance of Confederate Jasmine and the sweet smell of orange blossoms

The taste of Red Grapefruit harvested from my own tree

A walk on the beach to taste the salt sea air and feel the sand between my toes

The hypnotic sound of the waves rolling in, rolling in, rolling in

To meet the foraging sandpipers . . . and me

Sunshine on my face everyday warming my body and lifting my spirit

But I remember . . .

Trillium and Jack-in-the-Pulpit. The exquisite fragrance of the delicate Lily of the Valley

I remember searching under ancient hardwoods and along old railroad ties

for the elusive, highly prized, Morel Mushroom with it’s incredible taste.

I remember walking on a thick carpet of pine needles

through a silent forest of Magnificent old Pine trees and feeling the urge to pray.

I remember the beauty of God’s Autumn Spectacular.

Color so brilliant it can take your breath away.

Vibrant reds, shimmering golds, deep purples, bright oranges.

And yes, I remember snow, softening the landscape

with a profound hush and slowing the pace on a busy morning.

I remember yellow grosbeaks, and cardinals,

and black-capped chickadees brushing away the snow

to uncover the seed.

And I remember Grape Hyacynths and Tulips

pushing their way through the cold earth to fill our hearts

with hope that winter would finally end.

And Daffodils . . . beautiful Daffodils.

And I will never, ever forget the astounding, incomparable fragrance of Lilacs

Florida, I love . . . But I remember Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment