Tuesday, September 22, 2009

HEALTHCARE - A RIGHT OR A PRIVILEGE?

Is healthcare a right or a privilege? And do we, individually, have any responsibility to provide for our neighbor? I think I know how our Creator would answer that question. I wonder what God must think about the fact that we seldom consider what is “right,” but seek primarily what is in our own best interests. I understand that “self-preservation” is a strong human instinct, but I believe more is expected of us.

“. . . one nation under God . . ."

I think most would agree that our founding fathers and early leaders envisioned America as a Godly country, governed by reasonable, responsible and responsive leaders. A country where the citizens would enjoy freedom of speech and freedom to worship as they choose, as well as the assurance of justice for each and every one. I wonder what they would think if they could see and hear what is going on today.

Last week someone said to me: “I don’t want my taxes to pay for someone else’s healthcare.” I wasn’t shocked to hear that, but I am deeply disturbed by the lack of concern that person has for his fellow man and, of course, his position is not uncommon today. I am afraid that as a whole, we are becoming a nation of self-centered, “me-first” people who are willing to allow our fellow Americans to suffer catastrophic losses as long as it doesn’t affect us in a negative way. Have we, indeed, sunk so low? We’ve all heard the stories; no need to repeat the numbers or the facts. We desperately need to provide healthcare for those Americans who have lost their jobs, and as a result, their healthcare. We need to assure that those people whose medical costs have put them on the brink of bankruptcy, are saved from losing their homes and ending up on the streets. We need to be sure that no one has to make a choice between buying the medicine they need or buying food.

"He’s not heavy, he’s my brother.”

I don’t like labels and I suspect that if you have read this far, you may have labeled me either a “religious fanatic” or a “bleeding heart.” I would reject both labels, but I plead guilty to being concerned about my fellow Americans and I plead guilty to believing that God was involved in the beginnings of this country and is still involved in the evolution of this country. I believe that He must be disappointed that His children have so little concern for their brothers and sisters.
We seem to have lost even the ability to allow our brothers and sisters to express their opinions, to vote their hearts, and support their leaders, without vilifying them. Do we need to bring guns to public meetings to indicate our opposition or our outrage. What is that about? Certainly not about respecting our neighbors and their rights. I am frightened by such outright manifestations of potential violence and appalled that anyone would feel right about bring so blatantly threatening.

“. . . indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
If ever the people of this nation needed to be “One in Spirit,” it is today. Yet I have never seen more divisiveness and rancor. I think it was Patrick Henry who said: “United we stand, divided we fall.” Are we heading for the “Fall?” If, in fact, we lose sight of the fact that this country is only as great as its citizens standing together, hand-in-hand, determined to do the right thing, then we are lost.

“Am I my brother’s keeper?

Yes, you are! I believe that as human beings, “created in God’s image,” we have a responsibility to carry our brother’s burdens when we can do it. If, in fact, we are created in God’s image, and “God is Love,” then we do have a Spirit of Love within us - and love does not seek only for selfish satisfaction and well-being. We need to rekindle that Spirit of love and self-sacrifice. Let us, citizens of the United States of American, stand united, one nation - under God - preserving one another’s dignity and serving one another with respect, love, and courage.
“God Bless America, Land that I love. Stand beside her
And guide her. . .”

No comments:

Post a Comment