Friday, April 9, 2010

IF WISHES WERE HORSES . . .

When I was a girl, Mom’s response to my many daydreams and wishes was always: “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.”
I wasn’t absolutely sure what that meant other than it was unlikely my wish would be granted. She was right, of course, most of those wishes didn’t come true.
For instance:

“I wish we were rich like the Hendersons, then I could have a horse.”

“I wish I could grow up to look like Loretta Young.”

“I wish my nose wasn’t so big.”

“I wish there wasn’t such a thing as cancer.”

Mom has been gone for many years, and I am still wishing, but some of those wishes have changed. Here’s a few of today’s wishes:

“I wish there was less hatred in this world.”

“I wish politicians cared more about doing the right thing than about being re-elected.”

“I wish no child would go to bed hungry tonight.”

“I wish people didn’t need drugs and alcohol to cope.”

“I wish Christmas was more about the gift of Love and less about gifts.”

“I wish the food I love didn’t make me fat or clog my arteries.”

“I wish there was no such thing as cancer.”

But, I know . . . “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.”

No comments:

Post a Comment