Saturday, March 13, 2010

ROSE

Rose doesn’t talk any more

Really?

The last time I saw her she talked

And sang with me, smiling; even laughing

Showing her many missing teeth

But not today. Today Rose doesn’t talk any more

Says the care-taker on duty

With a finality that troubles me

Rose’s head hangs low, almost resting on her chest

Eyes half closed, seemingly disinterested

Maybe lost altogether . . . but maybe not

I touch her hand and kneel before her

Rose, don’t you want to sing today?

She can’t hear me, or won’t

We’ll sing some of your favorite songs, Rose

Her eyes close

I strum the guitar and begin to sing

Oh, Susanna, Ain’t She Sweet, My Bonnie, Just a Closer Walk

Finally, Jesus loves me, this I know . . .

Rose lifts her head and smiles at me

I love you, she says.




No comments:

Post a Comment