Wednesday, March 24, 2010

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL

Who said, “hope springs eternal?” It’s true. Recently, I wouldn’t have given you a nickle for the future of this country or the millions of people who are desperate for a little ray of sunshine in their darkest hours. That ray of sunshine blasted through over the weekend when Healthcare Reform finally became a reality and my hope for this nation was renewed. Oh, I know - this is not the “Great Fix” for all of our ills, but it is certainly a step in the right direction in spite of the hysterical rhetoric of the Tea Partiers and our lunatic friend, Rush.
I am saddened by the racial and cultural epithets being hurled around so freely. I think we are better than that. I’m disturbed by the not-so-well disguised threats of violence and suggestions that we should “get our guns ready.” I know we’re better than that. We don’t need guns to bring about change – we have the vote. We don’t shoot people with whom we disagree, we try to work things out and if necessary, agree to disagree. We will never all be on the same page, but in this country we are all allowed to have an opinion and express it. We don’t need to express it in hateful and hurtful ways. WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT!
This country has been a great example of democracy in action through the years and my hope is that we will continue to exemplify greatness - great hearts, great minds, great spirits. See, hope does spring eternal!

No comments:

Post a Comment